Wetland Permitting


Due to the COVID-19 virus, all town buildings are closed to the public until further notice. Wetland filings will be accepted via a Drop Box outside the front door of the Department of Planning and Land Management building at 141 Keyes Road. Roll plans are not able to be placed in the Drop Box. Please call ahead to schedule a time for roll plan delivery. A flash drive or CD with a complete set of application materials is also required. Application materials smaller than 10MB may be emailed to NR@concordma.gov.

Click here for additional guidance from DEP.

NRC meetings are being held via teleconference. The Commission and members of the public will participate remotely in order to minimize exposure to and transmission of COVID-19. The meeting agenda will contain information on how to participate.

Wetland Permits

Preserving Concord's wetlands, floodplains, and riverfronts is crucial to our unique natural environment, which, in turn, protects public interests such as flood control, stormwater damage protection, protection of drinking water supplies, and fisheries and wildlife habitats. View the Massachusetts Wetlands Protection Act and regulations and understand that no person may "remove, fill, dredge, or alter" and of the land surface, water, or vegetation in wetland resource areas without obtaining a permit from the local Conservation Commission, which in Concord, is the Natural Resources Commission. Concord also administers local Wetlands Bylaws and implements Wetlands Bylaw Regulations.

Any work within the wetlands, the 100-year floodplain, 200 feet of a perennial stream, or the 100-foot buffer zone to wetlands requires review and approval from the Natural Resources Commission. View the Certified Vernal Pools in Concord map showing approximate locations of wetlands, rivers, streams, and certified vernal pools in Concord.

If you are planning any landscaping, clearing, filling, excavation, demolition, or construction within a wetland or floodplain, within the 100 foot buffer zone, or within 200 feet of the Assabet, Concord, or Sudbury Rivers, or other perennial stream - whether or not the wetland resource area is on your property. Please contact the Division of Natural Resources before you begin your project to determine if you will need a permit. View the Wetlands Brochure for a homeowners guide to working near wetlands and streams.

Rules and Regulations

Natural Resources Commission Policies

If you are proposing to work within 25 feet of a regulated wetland resource area, please remember to submit a Waiver Request in accordance with Section 7.7. of the Concord Wetlands Bylaw. To satisfy this requirement you must provide a narrative that explains how your project meets the following requirements:

        a) the Commission finds in writing, after said public hearing that there are no reasonable conditions or alternatives that would allow the proposed                 activity to proceed in compliance with said Regulation;
        b) avoidance, minimization, and mitigation have been employed to the maximum extent feasible; and either,
        c) the project, considered in its entirety would result in a net benefit of resource area values; or
        d) the waiver is necessary to accommodate an overriding public interest or to avoid a decision that so restricts the use of the property as to                           constitute an unconstitutional taking without compensation.