TOWN MEETING NOTES FROM THE MODERATOR
Carmin C. Reiss, Town Moderator
Concord’s Annual Town Meeting, as well as a Special Town Meeting, will be held next week. Here are some important things for citizens to know.
- On Monday, April 24, Annual Town Meeting begins at 7:00 pm, and will continue on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights, as necessary. The Meeting will take up articles in the order printed in the Warrant, except for one article which the Moderator has designated as “high Interest” and scheduled for a specific time.
- On Tuesday, April 25 at 7:30 pm, Annual Town Meeting will pause to take up the three Articles on the Special Town Meeting Warrant.
- After concluding Special Town Meeting on Tuesday night, the next article taken up will be Article 51, Concord’s Energy Goals. Article 51 has been designated a “high interest” article and scheduled for a specific time because, if passed by the Meeting, it would be a significant policy decision for the future, may impact electric rates, and because the policy discussion attracted much public comment before the Energy Futures Task Force.
- The Concord-Carlisle High School Gymnasium will be the single room for conduct of Annual and Special Town Meetings this year. Seating capacity is expected to be 1200, with comfortable seats on the floor, some table seating, and some bleacher seating. There will be a live CCTV feed of the proceedings in the cafeteria, where snacks and drinks will be available, but votes will be counted only in the gymnasium. This venue choice is another effort in the search for the best way to use our new high school for town meeting. Your feedback will be welcome.
- Wi-Fi will be available in the gymnasium; those with internet-enabled devices may access town meeting materials on the town website. The Warrants, FinCom Report, Town Meeting Traditions & Procedures, and copies of handouts will be available electronically.
- Parking will be available at the high school in all designated spaces, the turf field parking lot, in front of the Beede Center, and in the lower end of Beede parking lot. If parking lots at the high school are full, attendees will be directed to Alcott School until full, and, then to the Concord District Court. Shuttle buses will be available to bring residents to and from satellite parking.
- Childcare will be provided at the high school in the maroon gym for children 2 1/2 and older. The Concord Recreation Department offers the service for a modest fee. In order to guarantee a space, advance reservations should be made by calling the Recreation Department at 978-287-1050.
- Annual and Special Town Meeting Warrants, and FinCom Report mailed to all Concord households, available at Townhouse and both Libraries, and at www.concordma.gov
- Public Hearings on all Warrant articles recorded by CCTV available at www.concordtv.org.