Utility Customer Service & Billing

Contact Customer Service at 978-318-3101 or concordutilities@concordma.gov regarding Water & Sewer, Electric, and Broadband for both residential and commercial services such as: 

  • To set up new service
  • To cancel existing service
  • Bill requests
  • Budget payment arrangements
  • Usage concerns
  • Broken/damaged meter
  • Special service requests
  • Rebates
  • To change or update account information such as contact name, phone numbers, mailing address, etc., you must send a written request via email to concordutilities@concordma.gov