Right of Way and Driveway Permits

Printable Permit Applications

Any disturbance or work performed within the Town’s Right of Way (ROW) always requires a ROW or Driveway Permit or both.  What is considered the right-of-way? The right-of-way is the strip of land controlled or owned by the Town within which a public road lies. However, this can vary greatly from street to street. Roads, sidewalks, utilities, public shade trees, and grass strips all can lie within the right of way.

Upon receiving an application and application fee, the Engineering Division will perform a pre-construction inspection of the proposed work area.  Even if the work is approved, it may not begin until either the property owner or the contractor performing the work submits proof of liability insurance, a performance bond (which will be returned when all work is completed properly), all applicable fees are paid, and the applicant has received the approved permit.

The typical permit season begins April 1st and ends November 15th.

The Concord road moratorium includes all roads that have received full width pavement treatment (reclaim, mill, overlay, etc). The road moratorium term is five (5) full years beginning the year of construction.  Excavation within streets under moratorium for the purpose of utility services only, will be assessed a Moratorium

 Excavation Fee (MEF).  For example, a road paved in 2015 will not be out of moratorium until April 1, 2021. The permit season runs from April 1st to November 15th each year.  Click here  to view the Street Moratorium map.

How do I obtain a permit?

The first step is to submit a Right-of-Way Permit Application to CPW's Engineering Division. Please see the links below - or visit CPW's Engineering Office at 133 Keyes Road. What are the permit fees?

The costs for a Right-of-way permit application range from $50.00 to $200.00, dependent on the type of work proposed. Additional costs may be incurred if any road opening is proposed and would be dependent on the size of the opening and age of the pavement. Driveway permits range from $50.00-$1200.00 for looped driveways.

What can be done in the right-of way? 

  •  The installation of private or commercial driveways, mailboxes, underground
      utilities, grass strips, and small flower beds
What can't I do in the right-of-way?  (including but not limited to):

  • Plant bushes, shrubs, trees or any other type of landscaping that obstructs passage or sight lines
  • Install fences, stone walls or irrigation systems
  • Discharge untreated pool, sump or any other type of drain water
  • Install cobble or brick driveway aprons