By 1910, the Light Plant’s revenue totaled $33,326.30, and the Town had
862 street lights covering some 45 miles. Town Meeting voted unanimously
in 1910 for a new 300-kilowatt generating unit, while the Light Plant
proposed raising voltage from 1,100 to 2,200 volts.
modernize its operation, the Light Plant sold its two horses and wagons
in 1912 and bought an electric truck and roadster. The roadster cost
$1,875, while the truck was $1,530 plus $400 for the battery and $150
for lettering. At the end of 1912, there were 957 street lights in Town.
Wholesale Offer Rejection
Four years later, voters rejected an offer to buy wholesale electricity from the Edison Electric Illuminating Company of Boston – later known as Boston Edison.
Daylight Savings Time
An innovative change occurred in 1918; Daylight Savings Time. Although popular, the change resulted in a drop in the amount of electricity used for lighting, according to the 1918 Town Report.